
Last week a man came over to inspect our air conditioning system. Before he came I challenged myself to have a missionary experience with him. So I welcomed him in and asked if he minded if I played the piano while he worked. He said he didn't mind, in fact he wished that someone played at all the homes he visited. We talked a little bit about his involvement with music. I started practicing the Hymns that I was supposed to play on Sunday for Sacrament Meeting. To my surprise, he started singing along to "Count Your Many Blessings". I stopped playing and asked how he knew the song, to which he replied he used to sing it at church growing up. I asked which church he attended, and he told me the name, but said that he hasn't gone in a long time. He said "Maybe you can tell me what church you go to". So I wrote down the address of the church on a pass-along card and gave it to him with our phone number. He finished his work, and before he left, I thought I'd give him a Book of Mormon I had. So I pulled it out of my bag and said, "Here, this is what sets us apart from other churches" and as I handed it to him, he looked surprised and said "I can take this?" And I said "Of course. Read it. It will change your life". I remember those words because they just came out and he looked kind of emotional and said "Thanks, I really need that". And then he left.
So, I'm a missionary in training.
(Elder Parker is from Rire, ID)
2 comments:
you are amazing. i'm totally in awe. i don't think i would ever have the guts to do that. props to you.
Nicole! You are awesome and so brave! Way to go. I'm impressed and inspired.
Post a Comment